Thursday 11 June 2020

Borage - the star flower


My great discovery last summer was borage. I had heard about its brilliant properties for improving soil, and attracting bees. The prospect of purple flowers won me over. But I never thought they would grow so almighty tall and beautiful as this !

On my allotment plot last year, I only planned for borage to be an 'in between' plant - spaced in between loads of growing veg. But it took over! And it lasted for months, just kept on flowering.

The above photo was taken at sundown and captures a certain mood, with the light still shining through those purple petals.

My learning didn't stop there, though! In the last few months, I was reading in a health magazine that borage is where Starflower comes from. Amazing. I never knew. And starflower oil can be found in some Evening Primrose products - which alleviate some symptoms relating to PMT. I don't know why I did not make that connection before.

What a wonderful, amazing, useful flower!







No comments:

Post a Comment